How does Selfridges collect your personal information?
We may collect your personal information through some of the following ways:
- When you register or use selfridges.com (the "Website").
- When you register or use Selfridges' in-store WIFI (in any of its stores).
- When you register or use the Selfridges App (the "App").
- When you are registered on the Selfridges in-store customer relationship management or "CRM" system.
- When you contact Selfridges by telephone or email.
- When you register or use Selfridges' in-store personal shopping services.
- When you enter any prize draws or competitions run by Selfridges.
- When completing any surveys that we send to you for research purposes (although you are under no obligation to complete these).
- When completing any forms for transactional, employment or other purposes.
What sort of personal information will Selfridges collect about you?
In addition to personal details such as your name, date of birth, address, email and telephone number, Selfridges may also collect some of the following personal information about you:
- Details of transactions you make from Selfridges (whether in-store or via the Website or App).
- Details of your shopping preferences, such as your favourite brands and products, as well as which of our stores you prefer to shop in.
- Details of your visits to the Website, in-store WIFI or App and the resources that you access.
- Details of when you contact Selfridges by email, post or telephone. Please note that we my keep a record of that correspondence.
- Any other information from which we can identify you (or which is available on public registers).
What does Selfridges use your personal information for?
We will treat all your personal information as private and confidential (although we reserve the right to disclose this information in certain circumstances, as set out below).
We confirm that any personal information which you provide to us will be held securely and in accordance with the registration that we have with the Data Commissioner's Office. We will use and process your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, as amended from time to time, as well as any other relevant data protection or privacy legislation. The types of uses we will make of your personal information shall include the following:
- Process any orders that you make via the Website, App or in-store (please note that your details may need to be passed to a third party in order for them to supply or deliver the product or service that you ordered and we may retain your details for a reasonable period of time after you have completed the transaction in order to fulfil any contractual obligations such as refunds, guarantees etc).
- Process payments and prevent fraudulent transactions (we may retain your details for these purposes for a reasonable period of time and we may pass your details to a third party to carry out these functions).
- With your consent, retain your personal information, preferences and details of your transactions in order to keep you informed by email, post, mobile messaging, telephone and/or through other digital means including social media platforms, about products and services (including special offers, discounts, promotions, events, competitions and so on) offered by Selfridges, as well as recommending those which we feel will be of particular interest to you. Please note that this may involve passing your details to carefully selected third parties who may inform you about their products or services which may be of interest to you.
- Register you on the Website, App or via one of our in-store services and where this involves setting you up with an account, we will use your personal information to maintain and update your account (e.g. such as a change of address or change in your push notification preferences).
- Improve the content and appearance of the Website or App, to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you.
- Assess and process your job application (we may retain a record of your information for a reasonable period of time following the end of our recruitment selection process for administration purposes).
- Administer any prize draws or competitions run by Selfridges. Please refer to the specific terms & conditions for each prize draw or competition.
- Carry out assessment and analysis (for example market, customer and product analysis) to enable us to review, develop and improve the products or services which we offer.
- Comply with our legal obligations (for example, if you purchase a television or television receiving equipment from us, the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 requires us to notify the TV Licensing Authority, giving full details of the address to which the television will be delivered).
Enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Selfridges, our customers or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction. Your personal information may be disclosed to other businesses within the Selfridges Group which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 736 of the UK Companies Act 1985. As mentioned above, we may also disclose your personal information to carefully-selected and monitored third parties who are engaged to help us run, manage and improve the quality of the products and services that Selfridges offer, as well as for marketing and fraud and credit checking purposes. We require all the third parties that we interact with to treat your personal information as carefully and confidentially as we do.
You should be aware that if we are requested by the police or any other regulatory or government authority investigating suspected illegal activities to provide your personal information or any other information we obtain about you, we are entitled do so.
In circumstances where you contact us by telephone, calls may be recorded for quality, training and security purposes. Calls may also be monitored without your consent for the following circumstances: to provide evidence of a business transaction; to prevent or detect a crime; to investigate the unauthorised use of a telecom system; to ensure that a business complies with regulatory procedures; to see that quality standards or targets are being met; in the interests of national security; and to secure the effective operation of the telecom system.
We will not keep your personal information processed by us for any purpose or purposes for longer than is necessary for that purpose or for those purposes. Under data protection legislation you have the right to access information held about you. If you chose to exercise this right, then any access request may be subject to a fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
How can I unsubscribe?
If at any point you no longer wish us to hold your personal information or you do not wish to receive information from us then there are a number of ways you can unsubscribe. These are as follows:
- You can click onto the "unsubscribe" link in any communication that we send to you by email which will automatically unsubscribe you from that type of communication. Each "unsubscribe" link only relates to that specific type of communication (e.g. marketing communications or survey communications). This means that unsubscribing from marketing communications will not automatically unsubscribe you from our survey communications (or vice versa). Please also note that you may continue to receive communications which are already on route to you for a short period of time while your relevant unsubscribe request is being processed.
- In relation to the App, you can manage your preferences and select to opt out from one or all of the different push notifications by unselecting or selecting the relevant ones in the "Settings" section of the App.
- Alternatively, you can contact our customer services by calling 0800 123 400 (+044 113 369 8040 from overseas), Monday to Saturday: 9am-10pm and Sundays: 10am-6pm or by using our online form: https://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/info/ContactUs/.
Please note that in relation to our in-store CRM system, you can ask a team member in any one of our stores to update your preferences (e.g. you can specify that you are happy for us to send you e-receipts, but that you would prefer not to be included on our marketing mailing list, or vice versa). However, should you wish for your details to be removed from our CRM system completely, then you will need to contact our customer services using the contact details above.
The Website and App may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and Selfridges does not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal details to these websites.
- Website and App: http://www.selfridges.com/content/terms-and-conditions
- In-store WIFI: http://www.selfridges.com/content/terms-and-conditions
Cookies make your selfridges.com experience more enjoyable – and below we have explained exactly what they are, why we use them and how they work.
Here's a list of the main cookies we use, and what we use them for:
Adtrack, Affiliate, TD Cookies
- This trio shows us how you found selfridges.com and which website you came from, helping us work out which of our online marketing channels is most effective. They also allow us to reward certain websites for directing you to us.
- We use this to determine whether or not your web browser supports some of the features that make our checkout process quicker and easier to complete.
- This is an A/B testing tool that allows us to serve different content to our users. We use the data to identify the best experience for our customers, helping us to improve and optimise our website for future visitors. All cookie data is anonymous and we’ll never share it with other any third parties.
- SessionCam is a service developed and operated by ServiceTick Ltd which provides session replays, advanced website heat maps, conversion funnels and form analytics to help us make our website more usable for you. The information collected is stored and used internally for our own statistical reporting. Please note that although SessionCam is recording your browser screen, it does not record or store your payment details or passwords.
- These cookies help us make the most of the money we spend on advertising. Google Analytics uses these cookies to discover when you first visited our site, how often you come back and how long you spend shopping. The information stored by these cookies can be seen only by the relevant teams at Selfridges and Google and never shows any confidential information.
selfridges.com 'share' tools
We know you love to share the great content we have on selfridges.com. Please be aware that social networking sites, like Facebook and Twitter, might send cookies. We don't control the setting of these third-party cookies, so we suggest you check the third-party websites for more information about their cookies and how to manage them. The business partners that may set cookies on selfridges.com include:
Criteo and Quantcast
DC Storm, Affiliate Window and Google
- Sometimes we'll advertise on third party websites and DC Storm cookies are used to help us and our advertisers see which advertisements you click on and interact with. Each individual advertiser uses its own tracking cookies and the data taken is not confidential or interchangeable.
We hope that explains things clearly – and please be aware you can set your browser to reject cookies or you can delete them yourself if you wish. For full information on how to delete cookies please visit aboutcookies.org (this will open in a new window – please note that we can't be responsible for the content of external websites).
Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our Privacy and Cookies policy.
For any questions regarding these policies, please e-mail our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org